May 31, 2010

Hokay so I lied

I decided to scan my collographs for the sake of procrastination on other projects. And I scanned my drypoint/engraving for better ~quality~ the lighting in my room is so bad. So bad. I'll eventually get a more color appropriate scan of my silkscreen too.


Crosby, Stills & Nash engraving on copper


So the next two are my collographs, and basically a collograph is:
'Collography' (sometimes misspelled "collagraphy") is a printmaking process in which materials are applied to a rigid substrate (such as cardboard or wood). The word is derived from the Greek word koll or kollo, meaning glue and graph, meaning the activity of drawing, which could explain the common misspelling collagraph. (Adding to the confusion, a photo-collagraph is a term to refer to any type of collatype photographic print.)

The plate can be intaglio-inked, inked with a roller or paintbrush, or some combination thereof. Ink or pigment is applied to the resulting collage, and the board is used to print onto paper or another material using either a printing press or various hand tools. The resulting print is termed a collagraph. Substances such as carborundum, acrylic texture mediums, sandpapers, string, cut card, leaves and grasses can all be used in creating the collograph plate. In some instances, leaves can be used as a source of pigment by rubbing them onto the surface of the plate.

Different tonal effects and vibrant colours can be achieved with the technique due to the depth of relief and differential inking that results from the collograph plate's highly textured surface. Collography is a very open printmaking method. Ink may be applied to the upper surfaces of the plate with a brayer for a relief print, or ink may be applied to the entire board and then removed from the upper surfaces but remaining in the spaces between objects, resulting in an intaglio print. A combination of both intaglio and relief methods may also be employed. A printing press may or may not be used.
Thanks captain wikipedia! Ps. I totally had to correct myself because I had spelled it wrong!


Decompression Collograph

This was done on cardboard with bubblewrap. I ended up having to hand press it because I almost made a huge mess of the press and that would have been the end of me.

What Else is There Collograph

This one is done with some other packing foam that is not nearly as entertaining as bubblewrap on cardboard. The swirls were a sort of fortuitous fuck up with brayer.

No comments: